Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mariana Maxey- church visit 3


 Mariana Maxey- church visit 3
Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church
421 North Second Street, Bartlett, IL
May 2
different denomination, farther than 10 mi

Describe the worship service you attended. How was it similar to or different from your regular context?
The worship service was led by one white male. He wore black robes and spoke and sang very formally. Hymns were interspersed with readings and prayer. The nicene creed was said, and felt more meaningful because I had memorized it. Hearing so many people saying it all together was special. The sermon he preached was quite short, and followed by more readings, prayer, and words spoken in one voice. I was happy that children could be heard through the sanctuary rather than being removed from the congregation. This seemed like a warm way to encourage parents with babies. 
 

What did you find most interesting or appealing about the worship service?
I loved how the songs were interspersed between the readings, prayer and sermon. this helped to make the service feel like a cohesive ongoing worship time. Having readings which were meant to be read all together gave me a sense of being involved and enveloped in the service. I also loved that the priest turned his back to the congregation and prayed facing towards the Bible on a stand. This made the action feel like it was on behalf of the congregation rather than a performance for the sake of the congregation. 

What did you find most disorienting or challenging about the worship service?
I didn’t like how the service was led almost entirely by one white man, because this doesn’t feel like how the body of christ should express our worship. I also felt skeptical of the man because he had a narrow mindset and even referred Africa as a country. He also commended the ESL program for having the student watch the english speaking sermons as a way to learn English. This felt alienating towards other cultures. I also felt defensive against him because he referred to Rahab as a harlot, a much more loaded word than prostitute.

What aspects of Scripture or theology did the worship service illuminate for you that you had not perceived as clearly in your regular context?
I loved the way that the congregation has traditional responses to what the priest says and prayers. I want ritual to be part of the way that I worship God, and having the solemn hymns and the organ playing reminds me of the Psalms about singing songs as praise to God. I would like to have responses in my mind that are as natural as muscle memory. This idea of worship with our breath would be highlighted by developing call and response habits in a communal setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment